Picking the best surfboard for your needs seems simple but, unfortunately, it isn’t. In fact, as a beginner, it can be very challenging since you have no experience with them.
You need the best surfboards that will help you learn the basics of surfing and subsequently improve your skills. The best surfboards for beginners are very much available in the market. However, identifying and sorting out the right one for you might be a problem.
Don’t get discouraged, I have compiled in this article, the 15 best surfboards for beginners. The article will also equip you with the needed knowledge and help you find the best surfboards for you.
Table of Contents
- My Top Picks
- Comparison Table
- The 15 Best Surfboards for Beginners Reviews
- 1. South Bay Board Co 7′ Ruccus Soft Top
- 2. South Bay Board Co 8′ Verve
- 3. Rock-It 8′ Big Soft Top
- 4. Salt Gypsy Shorebird
- 5. Boardworks Froth Shortboard
- 6. Wavestorm 8′ Sunburst
- 7. Creative Army Huevo PU Longboard
- 8. 7S Hook Twin Fin Shortboard
- 9. Giantex 6′ Foamie
- 10. Modern Surfboards Retro PU Longboard
- 11. Modern Surfboards Love Child PU
- 12. Modern Surfboards Highline PU
- 13. South Bay Board Co 8’8 Heritage Foam
- 14. Liquid Shredder FSE Soft
- 15. BIC Sport G-Board EVO Soft
- Choosing the Right Surfboards for Beginners
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- WindSurfingMag Overview
My Top Picks
The best surfboards for beginners are those that offer riders ample space, high stability, and more buoyancy. Below are some surfboards you can consider for your skill level.
- Best Overall: South Bay Board Co 7′ Ruccus Soft Top
“Reliable build, good value for money, supports GoPros, comes with removable fins and leash.”
- Best Budget: Giantex 6′ Foamie
“Thruster fins, colorful design, high weight limit, lightweight, has a sturdy construction.”
- Best Soft Top Surfboards for Beginners: South Bay Board Co 8′ Verve
“Soft, textured deck, good value, supports GoPros, highly responsive, less susceptible to heat damage.”
- Best Foam Surfboards: Rock-It 8′ Big Soft Top
“Spacious, heat-laminated, features three stringers for strength, ideal for most wave sizes.”
- Best for Female Beginners: Salt Gypsy Shorebird
“Rugged, attractive feminine color choices, easy to store and transport, ideal for learning tricks.”
- Best Short Surfboards for Beginners: Boardworks Froth
“High durability, lightweight, versatility with various volume, great for kids and small adults.”
- Best Long Surfboards for Beginners: Wavestorm 8′ Sunburst
“Tough construction, great value for money, 30-day warranty, comes with a soft deck and traction pad.”
- Best Polyurethane Surfboard: Creative Army Huevo PU
“Great traction, smooth glide, a high degree of buoyancy, easy to paddle.”
- Best Lightweight: 7S Hook Twin Fin Shortboard
“Low-medium rocker, swallow tail, offers more control and quick turns.”
In finding the best surfboards for beginners, there are many features and characteristics to take note of in a surfboard. All these things I have compiled in the table below.
|Surfboards||Material||Dimensions (inches)||Weight (lbs.)||Capacity (lbs.)||Volume (Ltrs.)|
|South Bay Board Co 7' Ruccus Soft Top - Best Overall|
|EPS foam, fiberglass, and PE||84 x 22 x 2.85||13||150||49|
|South Bay Board Co 8' Verve - Best Soft Top Surfboards for Beginners||EPS foam, fiberglass, and PE||96 x 23 x 3||15||200||74|
|Rock-It 8' Big Soft Top - Best Foam Surfboards||EPS foam and PE||96 x 22.7 x 3.3||13||225||81|
|Salt Gypsy Shorebird - Best for Female Beginners||EPS foam and PE||65 x 20 x 2.25 ; 68 x 20.25 x 2.375 ; 71 x 20.5 x 2.5||19 - 22||132 ; 143 ; 155||28 ; 31 ; 34|
|6' Guppy White Stripes by South Bay Board Co - Best Short Surfboards for Beginners||EPS foam||72 x 21 x 3||12.5||125||41.5|
|Wavestorm 8' Sunburst - Best Long Surfboards for Beginners||EPS foam and PE||96 x 22.5 x 3.25||11.5||200||86|
|Creative Army Huevo PU Longboard - Best Polyurethane Surfboard||Polyurethane||82 x 21.13 x 2.75 ; 90 x 21.86 x 2.75 ; 97 x 22.13 x 2.86||17 - 35||154 ; 176 ; 198||44.4 ; 50.95 ; 59.1|
|7S Hook Twin Fin Shortboard - Best Lightweight||EPS foam and Fiberglass||74 x 20.9 x 2.6 ; 76 x 21.125 x 2.8||10.4||120 - 140||38.2 ; 40.6|
|Giantex 6' Foamie - Best Budget||EPS foam and PE||72 x 20 x 3||10||200||39.5|
|Modern Surfboards Retro PU Longboard - Best With Single Fin||Polyurethane||109 x 23 x 4 ; 114 x 24 x 5||17 ; 35||200 ; 230||78.5 ; 86.5|
|Modern Surfboards Love Child PU - Best Versatile||Polyurethane||76 x 23 x 5 ; 80 x 24 x 5 ; 84 x 24 x 5 ; 90 x 24 x 5||19 - 24||165 ; 176 ; 198 ; 209||42.6 ; 47.6 ; 52.6 ; 58.6|
|Modern Surfboards Highline PU - Best With High Weight Limit||Polyurethane||68 x 21 x 2.5 ; 70 x 21.38 x 2.63 ; 72 x 21.75 x 2.75 ; 74 x 22.13 x 2.81 ; 76 x 22.5 x 2.88 ; 80 x 22.88 x 3||Dec-23||132 ; 143 ; 165 ; 187 ; 198 ; 209||35 ; 38.3 ; 42 ; 45 ; 48.1 ; 54|
|South Bay Board Co 8'8 Heritage Foam - Best With Gopro Mount||EPS foam, fiberglass, and PE||104 x 23 x 3||15||100 - 230||86|
|Liquid Shredder FSE Soft - Best for Short Riders||EPS foam and PE||72 x 20 x 2.5||11||120||33|
|BIC Sport G-Board EVO Soft - Best With Anti-Slip Deck||EPS foam and PE||72 x 19.4 x 3.5 ; 96 x 23 x 3.4||17.3 ; 26||175||44 ; 69|
The 15 Best Surfboards for Beginners Reviews
The performance of surfboards is an aggregate of various factors but, most importantly, its features and characteristics. Even if they are touted as the best surfboard for beginners, you still to determine if it’s the right one for you.
To pick a surfboard, you need to have a good knowledge of the surfboard or many options available to you. For the 15 best surfboards I researched, here are the detailed reviews. Read carefully and understand.
See more related reviews:
1. South Bay Board Co 7′ Ruccus Soft Top
(Best Overall – Editor’s Choice)
If you need a surfboard that supports GoPro cameras, see the South Bay Board CO 7’ Ruccus Soft top surfboard. Just in case you care about aesthetics, the board comes in multiple color options – aqua, black, blue, and red.
In terms of construction, it has a sturdy EPS core, a resilient polyethylene slick, and a three-stringer system. To improve its durability, it’s heat-laminated and features a heat-release valve to prevent bubbling and delamination.
You may not use wax with the board since it comes with a fingerprint-textured, soft deck. The board comes with a rubber bumper for safer vertical storage and an ankle leash.
You also get to enjoy the removable fins arranged in a thruster setup that enhances its stability and performance. The South Bay Board CO 7’ Ruccus surfboard has a volume and weight limit of 49 liters and 150lbs. respectively.
- Pulled in squash tail with slight exit rocker.
- Semi-rounded nose with entry-level rocker.
- Hand tapered & semi-hard rails.
- Double Concave, Slick HDPE bottom deck.
- 3 fin performance thruster fcs fin system.
- Wax-free ‘fingerprint’ textured foam deck.
- Molded shapes with floated stringers.
- EPS closed-cell foam core.
- Triple Stringer System.
- Heat-release valve.
- Rubber tail bumper.
- Durable, lightweight and well-performed construction.
- Great speed and wave catching ability.
- Easy pop-ups & stable.
- Pearl-preventing, flexible turning and maneuver.
- Resist heat and heavy external impacts, damages.
- Safe & non-slip, easy to carry and use.
- Not for big surfers.
|Dimensions (inches)||84 x 22 x 2.85|
|Color||Aqua, Black, Blue|
|Style||Traditional, beginner-friendly, funboard|
Watch this video for a multidimensional view and detailed information of the product!
2. South Bay Board Co 8′ Verve
(Best Soft Top Surfboards for Beginners)
Everybody wants a durable surfboard and this you can enjoy in the South Bay Board CO 8’ verve surfboard. It has a tough construction that comprises a closed-cell EPS foam core, double-layer HDPE slick, and three stringers.
With these, the board has a volume of 74 liters and will tolerate riders of about 200 pounds. The dimension. To prolong its useful life, it features an anti-heat valve that eliminates bubbling and delamination caused by heat.
It has a textured deck to enhance grip and a rubber bumper for vertical storage. Performance-wise, it is very stable and can help you catch waves easily, regardless of the wave height.
With its thruster (fins), you can enjoy a balance between maneuverability, stability, and speed. The South Bay Board CO 8’ verve surfboard supports GoPros and comes with a leash and 30-day warranty.
- Rounded nose with entry level rocker.
- Rounded out, wide tail with Slight exit rocker.
- Hand tapered & semi-hard rails.
- Double Concave, diamond-weave HDPE plastic bottom deck.
- 3 fin performance thruster screw-through fins.
- Wax-free ‘fingerprint’ textured IXPE foam top deck.
- Molded shapes with floated stringers.
- EPS closed-cell foam core.
- Triple Stringer System.
- Heat-release valve.
- Rubber tail bumper.
- Resist heat damage.
- High speed, stable, and highly responsive to small waves.
- High volume and weight capacity.
- Pearl-preventing, flexible turning and maneuver.
- Iconic product line of a reputable brand.
|Dimensions (inches)||96 x 23 x 3|
|Color||Red, Black, Blue|
|Style||Traditional, beginner-friendly, mini-log|
If you want to explore more about the product details, check the video below:
3. Rock-It 8′ Big Soft Top
(Best Foam Surfboards)
The Rock-It 8’ Big Soft Top surfboard is another large, heavy-duty soft-top surfboard for beginners. With a dimension of 96inches by 22.7inches by 3.3inches, it is spacious, buoyant, and stable, making it easy to learn.
Made from recycled EPS and polyethylene, it is heat-laminated and loaded with three stringers to improve its durability and performance. It has a UV-resistant, soft deck that is forgiving if you fall while riding.
With this construction, it has a volume of 81 liters and will accommodate riders of up to 225 pounds. In terms of performance, it catches waves easily even the smallest ones, and, surprisingly, it is easy to maneuver.
The board comes with removable fins arranged in the thruster fin setup. In terms of aesthetics, the Rock-It 8’ Big Soft Top surfboard available in many attractive color options.
- Epoxy nano-coating wooden stringers.
- EPS foam.
- Color-fast & UV resistant soft top layer.
- 3 safety fins.
- Sea Camo Zebra Striped bottom.
- Big, buoyant, easy to paddle & stable.
- Resist water absorption & laminate heat.
- Recyclable materials, environment-friendly production.
- Deter sharks & improve safety.
- Works impressively in all wave sizes.
- Multiple color options.
- No leash included.
|Dimensions (inches)||96 x 22.7 x 3.3|
|Style||Classic, beginner-friendly, longboard|
4. Salt Gypsy Shorebird
(Best for Female Beginners)
From the design and performance of the Salt Gypsy Shorebird surfboard, it is an excellent choice for ladies. It is available in two attractive colors – pink and mint green.
It is a fish-type surfboard made from a quality polyurethane material, well-laminated, and built to last. It is available in multiple lengths but they are all easy to store and transport.
Sizes include 65” by 20”, 68” by 20.25” and 71” by 20.5”, with thickness ranging between 2.25 and 2.5 inches. The surfboard will perform quite well in small to medium waves, however, it may be less sensitive to small waves.
With the narrow tail, the Salt Gypsy Shorebird surfboard can be very responsive, offering sharp turns and more control. Therefore, you can learn tricks easily with the surfboard.
- Relaxed yet fast rocker.
- Vee to single concave bottom.
- Traditional beak nose.
- Narrow tail.
- Twin fins surfboard.
- High-grade timber stringer.
- Durable construction.
- Smooth, effortless turning in small to medium size waves.
- Easy wave catching, easy paddling, great stability & responsive turn.
- Specifically-designed sizes and volumes for females.
- Environment-friendly, zero plastic packaging.
- Easy to store and transport.
- Ideal for learning tricks.
- May be less sensitive to small waves.
- Doesn’t come with fins.
|Volume (Liters)||28, 31 & 34|
|Dimensions (inches)||65 x 20 x 2.25 ;
68 x 20.25 x 2.375 ;
71 x 20.5 x 2.5
|Capacity (lbs)||110, 132 & 154|
|Style||Old school & modern, all level friendly, twin fin fish|
Watch this video if you are curious about how the surfboard functions!
5. Boardworks Froth Shortboard
(Best Short Surfboards for Beginners)
Froth Shortboard is the iconic product of Broadworks, famous for its fun and versatility. The board can be used for several purposes, and serve various customers of different skill levels.
This Froth surfboard is especially great for amateur surfers and learners thanks to its maneuverability, watertight, stable and well-performance.
You probably don’t have to consider too much when buying this Broadworks board because it’s affordable, usable and comes in basic colors for any ages and genders.
- Thruster Fin setup.
- SDX Construction.
- Fully Glassed EPS Foam Core.
- Includes Futures G5 Fins.
- Froth EVA traction.
- Generous volume.
- Versatile & usable for learners, rippers, and wake surfers.
- Lightweight, watertight & durable.
- Promote optimal performance.
- User-friendly for surfers of all levels.
- Limited and basic color options.
- Weak resistance against external damage like sunlight.
|Volume (Liters)||30.39 ; 37.4 ; 55.5 ; 71.47 ; 87.17|
|Dimensions (inches)||60 x 21.5 x 2.5;
66 x 21 x 2.9;
84 x 22 x 3.1;
96 x 23 x 3.3;
108 x 24 x 3.5
|Capacity (lbs)||140 ; 160 ; 180 ; 200 ; 200+|
|Color||Mint, Papaya & Sky|
|Style||Modern, versatile, user-friendly, fun soft-top shortboard|
Watch this video for a detailed review of the Boardworks Froth surfboard explanation and trial!
6. Wavestorm 8′ Sunburst
(Best Long Surfboards for Beginners)
If you are looking for a resilient, heavy-duty surfboard, your search is over with the Wavestorm 8’ sunburst surfboard. Even if it’s your first time surfing, you are making a great choice with this popular and attractive multicolor surfboard.
It is wide, spacious with a weight limit of 200 pounds, and a large volume of 86 liters. As expected, it is extremely buoyant and stable, allowing you to catch waves easily with better handling.
It has an EPS foam core and high-density polyethylene slick and still features a three-stringer setup for added durability. For more comfort and grip, it has a soft deck and a textured traction pad.
The Wavestorm 8’ sunburst surfboard has the thruster fin arrangement with the fins completely removable. Furthermore, it comes with an ankle leash and a 30-day warranty.
- Rounded nose, square tail & heavy rocker.
- Textured Traction Pad.
- Strong EPS core.
- 3 Marine-ply stringers.
- Textured IXL deck & rails.
- Water Barrier Skin crosslink top deck.
- High-density PE slick bottom skin.
- Exclusive New SunBurst Color Graphic, patented Graphic Film Technology art deck skin.
- Bolt thru board components & fin system.
- Removable High-quality Polyurethane leash.
- Multiple color options.
- Light-weight, buoyant, soft & easy to handle.
- Reduce pop-ups caused by inconsistent waves.
- Easy to use, stable to stand and maneuver.
- Smooth and floaty surf for all types of waves.
- Great balance, performance & wave-catching ability.
- Not easy to maneuver.
|Dimensions (inches)||96 x 22.5 x 3.25|
|Style||Classic, SunBust Graphic, beginner-friendly, longboard|
Watch this video if you want to see further review of how the surfboard works in reality!
7. Creative Army Huevo PU Longboard
(Best Polyurethane Surfboard)
Another longboard option for beginners is the Creative Army Huevo PU longboard surfboard. From the design and performance, it is best to conclude that it’s a balance between the longboard and shortboard.
Like many longboards, there is plenty of space and volume with the largest size accommodating up to 198-pound riders. There are three lengths and volume to pick from – 82 (44.4 ltrs.), 90 (50.95 ltrs.), and 97 (59.1 ltrs.) inches.
It features a blunt, rounded nose and a full, rounded tail that sums up to more buoyancy. The Creative Army Huevo PU surfboard features the traditional 2 + 1 fin arrangement to complement its length. Hence, it holds pretty well, easy to paddle, and getting into action is without stress.
- Vee to single concave bottom contours.
- Neutral rails.
- Round semi-pointed nose and full tail.
- Low-to-medium rocker.
- 2 + 1 fin set up.
- Slight rolled Vee from nose to tail
- Floaty, fast responsive turns and maneuverability.
- Great paddle power and stability.
- Smooth transitions between turns.
- Offer plenty of traction.
- Works well for all types of waves.
- Suitable for any skill level.
- Just-right size, incorporation of longboard & shortboard.
- Requires more storage space.
- Not easy to learn duck dive.
|Volume (Liters)||44.4 ; 50.95 & 59.1|
|Dimensions (inches)||82 x 21.13 x 2.75 ;
90 x 21.86 x 2.75 ;
97 x 22.13 x 2.86
|Capacity (lbs)||154 ; 176 & 198|
|Style||Classic hybrid, all level friendly, shortboard, longboard|
To see how the Huevo surfboard works, watch this video!
8. 7S Hook Twin Fin Shortboard
Available in different sizes, the swallow-tail 7S Hook Twin Fin shortboard surfboard is a high-performing beginners’ board. It is made from high-density EPS (as the core) and fiberglass (as the shell) which makes it quite durable.
It features a small-medium rocker that allows high speed even in gentler conditions and can still face many open-face waves. The board has an outline that allows an easy transition from rail to rail.
With its outline, rocker and tail design, the board is easy to turn and it catches waves easily as well. The 7S Hook Twin Fin shortboard surfboard also comes with twin fins that improve control and stability.
- High-density EPS core.
- Highly functioning hybrid twin fin.
- Medium-to-low rocker.
- 7S step-deck contours.
- Single to Double, Rolled Vee through the tail.
- Vee transitions into a single/double concave combo.
- special ultra bright epoxy resin.
- Great durability, maximum buoyancy & low rail for sensitivity.
- Eliminate sketchy feelings & support big waves surfing.
- Dampening & smooth turns.
- Offer pop, lively but controllable and safe feelings.
- Available in different sizes.
- High-speed and great performance.
- May feel loose in bigger waves.
- One color design.
|Volume (Liters)||29.20 ; 31.30 ; 33.40 ; 35.60 ; 38.2 & 40.6|
|Dimensions (inches)||60 x 20.1 x 2.37;
68 x 20.37 x 2.4;
70 x 20.6 x 2.5;
72 x 20.8 x 2.56;
74 x 20.9 x 2.6 ;
76 x 21.1 x 2.8
|Capacity (lbs)||154 ; 165 ; 176 ; 187 ; 198 & 209+|
|Style||Modern & traditional, hybrid twin fin, all level friendly, shortboard|
Watch this video for a quick introduction of the surfboard!
9. Giantex 6′ Foamie
One of those affordable boards with impressive performance for kids and lightweight riders is the Giantex 6’ foamie surfboard. It weighs barely 10 pounds, however, it will carry up to 200 pound short riders.
The board is available in multiple color options which flaunts impressive aesthetics. Despite its price, it features a quality EPS core, polyethylene slick, and propylene bottom, plus a tough polyethylene deck.
It has a shape, concave bottom, and rounded ends, that allows beginners to remain stable and move at high speeds. The board comes with a traction pad for more grip and leash for safety.
The Giantex 6’ foamie surfboard has thruster fins for stability and to help it glide smoothly. It will also perform well in various water conditions but below average in bigger waves.
- Durable top foam material.
- Unique concave at the bottom.
- PP hard slick HDPE high-speed bottom.
- EPE deck, EPS core.
- Lengthy 6-ft leash with an ankle cuff.
- Traction pad.
- Removable Fins.
- Great stiffness and board speed.
- Colorful designs.
- Affordable & durable.
- Large weight limit.
- Lightweight and easy to carry.
- Versatile for different water conditions and for people of all ages.
- Cheaper and more fast-riding than normal beginner boards.
- Paint may fade off easily.
- Not for tall surfers.
|Dimensions (inches)||72 x 20 x 3|
|Style||Classic, kid-friendly, beginner-friendly, shortboard|
Watch this review for a zoom-in view of the surfboard in reality!
10. Modern Surfboards Retro PU Longboard
(Best With Single Fin)
The Modern Surfboards Retro PU is an incredible option for beginners, this time it’s a longboard surfboard. It is available in two sizes (lengths) – 109” by 23” by 4” and 114” by 24” by 5”.
Made from polyurethane, the two sizes have a volume of 78.5 and 86.5 respectively. Owing to its large size, it is spacious enough to accommodate many riders without top-notch stability.
It has a flat rocker terminating with a fully rounded nose that ensures smoother and faster glide. The tail is slightly raised to allow more maneuverability over its huge body.
The Modern Surfboards Retro PU longboard surfboard has a single, centered-placed large fin and comes in two color schemes. Ideally, beginners should use the board in small-medium, gentle waves.
- Spacious deck.
- 60-40 long parallel rails.
- Slightly raised tail.
- Moderately flat entry rocker.
- Long, single concave under the nose.
- Fully rounded nose.
- Double Vee.
- Double stringer, traditional resin tint, rail laps and gloss finish.
- Single fin box and 9″ inch Rake fin.
- Wide and stable.
- Fast-paddling and flowing down-the-line trim speed.
- Great turning ability.
- Unique and impressive designs.
- Versatile, usable for all skill levels & different wave heights.
- Offer smooth effortless and fast glide.
- Doesn’t come with a leash.
- Needs more storage space.
|Volume (Liters)||78.5 & 86.5|
|Weight (lbs)||17 & 35|
|Dimensions (inches)||109 x 23 x 4 ;
114 x 24 x 5
|Capacity (lbs)||Ideal for all weights|
|Color||Green, Blue & Clear|
|Style||Modern, retro, old-school, beginner-friendly, longboard, log-inspired|
If you want to check how the surfboard looks and works, find it out here!
11. Modern Surfboards Love Child PU
Though expected as a beginner, if you are struggling to catch waves, go for the Modern Surfboards Love Child Surfboard. It is a very fantastic choice that can help you improve your wave count, increasing your chances of becoming better.
It is available in four different sizes with high volumes and weight capacities of 165, 176, 198, or 209 liters. With a sleek outline, it floats easily and will also perform duck-diving without stress.
The board is a versatile one as it can accommodate different fin set-ups – single, thruster, and quad arrangements. This way, it can meet different wave conditions, giving you flexibility in learning.
Made from polyurethane, the Love Child Surfboard allows more speed, thanks to its pointed nose and balance with an offsetting width.
- Pin tail with tapered outline.
- Longboard outline upfront.
- Low rocker with subtle tail lift.
- Pronounced vee-double concave.
- Three different fin configurations: single and 2 + 1 set-ups & quad.
- Traditional resin tints, rail laps, and gloss finish.
- Early wave-catching, easy duck dive & forward riding.
- Manoeuvrable & controllable in step, huge wave.
- Effortless & smooth gliding turns.
- Free-flowing ride, longer lines support & fast ride with tight turns.
- Supports different fin configurations.
- High volume, multiple size options.
- No warranty.
|Volume (Liters)||42.6 ; 47.6 ; 52.6 ; 58.6|
|Dimensions (inches)||76 x 21.5 x 2.9 ;
80 x 21.7 x 3 ;
84 x 22 x 3.1 ;
90 x 22.2 x 3.2
|Capacity (lbs)||165 ; 176 ; 198 & 209|
|Color||Psychedelic, Kaleidoscope & Clear|
|Style||Modern, hybrid, versatile cruiser, kid-friendly, beginner-friendly, longboard/shortboard|
Watch this review video if you find this surfboard interesting and want to explore more!
12. Modern Surfboards Highline PU
(Best With High Weight Limit)
As a beginner, you need a surfboard like the Modern surfboards Highline PU surfboard to catch waves easily. Asides the impressive outline, it offers nice aesthetics and it is available in different designs.
There are many sizes available and you will always find your choice even if you weigh up to 210 pounds. It has a low rocker which means that you can paddle faster and gain speed very easily.
Just what you need, it has a pointed nose and a squash tail which indicates a balance between speed and control. If you are going to learn tricks, the board will perform excellently with its thruster fin arrangement.
You also need to know that the Modern surfboards Highline PU surfboard offers high stability with a balanced length-to-width ratio.
- Semi-point tapered nose.
- Nice curved square tail.
- Flat, the low, fish-style rocker.
- Single Double Vee.
- Full Rail.
- Forward concave.
- Traditional resin tints, rail laps, and matte finish.
- Impressive designs & multiple sizing options.
- Buoyant & easy wave-catching, fast-paddling with fewer efforts.
- Smooth turns & controllable.
- High stability and maneuverability.
- It can be used to learn tricks & help develop skills quickly.
- Professional version available.
- Doesn’t come with a leash.
|Volume (Liters)||35 ; 38.3 ; 42 ; 45 ; 48.1 & 54|
|Dimensions (inches)||68 x 21 x 2.5 ;
70 x 21.38 x 2.63 ;
72 x 21.75 x 2.75 ;
74 x 22.13 x 2.81 ;
76 x 22.5 x 2.88 ;
80 x 22.88 x 3
|Capacity (lbs)||132 ; 143 ; 165 ; 187 ; 198 & 209|
|Color||Sea Tint & Clear|
|Style||Modern, basic, beginner-friendly, longboard|
Watch this video to see how the surfboard functions in duck dive!
13. South Bay Board Co 8’8 Heritage Foam
(Best With Gopro Mount)
The South Bay Board CO 8’8 Heritage Foam surfboard is one of those with a massive weight limit for big riders. The 104-inch tall board is 23 inches wide and has a volume of 86L and supports beginners up to 260lbs.
It is very forgiving hence it is easy to ride for beginners, catching more waves with stability and buoyancy. It comes with a thruster fin setup which implies more maneuverability and even more stability.
It has features that enhance its longevity such as the heat-damage prevention valve and rubber bumper for upright storage. It has a double-concave bottom for speed, three stringers, and a dual-layer resin body.
Asides its resilient EPS and polyethylene construction, it is a low-maintenance board and requires no wax for its textured surface. The 8’8 Heritage surfboard features a GoPro mount, leash, and color options.
- Beginner-friendly nose rocker & slight tail rocker.
- Hand Tapered Rails.
- Round Nose & Widened chest area.
- Pulled-in Squash tail with rubber bumper.
- Full Double-Concave bottom deck.
- Wax-Free ‘Fingerprint Texture Soft Top Foam Deck
- EPS Closed Cell Foam Core
- Triple Stringer System
- Heat Release Valve
- Rubber Die-Cut, Non-Slip Logo
- HDPE Plastic Bottom Deck
- Large volume, stability, and buoyancy.
- Resilient, lightweight & strong construction.
- Durable & less maintenance.
- Easy take-offs & prevent pearling.
- Resist heat and physical damage.
- Not ideal for big waves or learning duck dive.
|Dimensions (inches)||104 x 23 x 3.25|
|Style||Traditional, beginner-friendly, Mini-Log Longboard|
For a detailed product description and view, watch this video!
14. Liquid Shredder FSE Soft
(Best for Short Riders)
Another affordable and durable surfboard is the Liquid Shredder FSE soft surfboard. It comes with a 90-day warranty and it is available in three color options – red, blue, and yellow.
It has an EPS foam core supported with dual stringers for added strength and an HDPE slick for high speed. Altogether, the board is coupled and sealed using heat lamination, improving the overall durability.
It has a soft polyethylene foam deck that improves comfort, grip, and safety. It allows duck dive and more maneuverability but it is best for medium wave heights.
Its dimension is 72inches x 20inches x 2.5inches and its maximum weight limit is 120 pounds. The thruster fins of the Liquid Shredder FSE soft surfboard are easy to install or remove.
- Removable Tri-Fin Thruster fin system.
- EZ-Seal rubber fin system seals.
- Soft foam & anti-slip textured deck.
- Slick EPS core.
- Fast & hard slick Bottom.
- Dual wooden stringers.
- Easy to control.
- 90-day warranty.
- Durable build with heat lamination.
- Stiff, hard and stable.
- Versatile and usable for all skill levels.
- Hand-shaped & modern high-tech design.
- Fast & streamlined performance.
- Not for gentle waves.
- The leash is sold separately.
|Dimensions (inches)||72 x 20 x 2.5|
|Color||Red, Blue & Yellow|
|Style||Classic, kid-friendly, all level friendly, shortboard|
Watch this video to see a review of the surfboard in reality and explore its functions!
15. BIC Sport G-Board EVO Soft
(Best With Anti-Slip Deck)
With the BIC sport G-Board EVO soft surfboard, you are on the track to becoming a great surfer. It is available in multiple colors and two different sizes (lengths), 72 and 96 inches, for lightweight and heavy surfers.
It has a polyethylene foam core, dual stringers. The deck is made from ethyl-vinyl acetate (EVA) foam, hence, it is soft and firm on the feet.
It has an outline that can help you catch waves easily. However, you should not expect much when it comes to tricks and speed, making it ideal for beginners.
The BIC sport G-Board EVO soft surfboard has a twin fin set up on the shorter length and a thruster setup on the longer one. For safety, you may have to buy a leash separately.
- Soft Surfboard construction.
- Soft ‘No Wax’ anti-slip deck.
- Closed cell foam core.
- Complete with removable Thruster Tri Fins.
- Internal Twin Reinforced Stringers.
- Highly durable slick skin.
- Highly durable EVA bumper rails.
- Durable, easy to use & wave-catching.
- Good stiffness, flat and stable platforms.
- Excellent glide, cushioning bumps & knock-resistant.
- Offer maximum security, high comfort and fun.
- Good volume.
- No warranty.
- Doesn’t come with a leash.
|Volume (Liters)||44 & 69|
|Weight (lbs)||17.3 & 26|
|Dimensions (inches)||72 x 19.4 x 3.5 ;
96 x 23 x 3.4
|Style||Classic, Mini Malibu, beginner-friendly, shortboard|
Watch this short video for zoom-in view of the surfboard from different angles!
Choosing the Right Surfboards for Beginners
Just like skimboards, bodyboards, or any other boards, without the right surfboard, everything can be frustrating and demoralizing. Surfboards have different features and characteristics that make one a better choice than the other for beginners.
When picking your surfboard, as a beginner, all these things can look overwhelming especially with little knowledge about them. Remember, your budget plays a crucial role and you might have to up your budget based on some reasons.
To help you pick the best surfboards for beginners, below are the things to look out for.
1. Volume and Buoyancy
The volume of a board explains its buoyancy, therefore, high volume boards will offer high buoyancy which is ideal for beginners. Buoyancy is measured in Liters and may be written on the surfboard’s label or manufacturer’s website.
Adult beginners should be considering surfboards above 60 liters while kids can use something less. Better still, you should go for something relative or equal to your weight e.g. 60kg – 60liters.
2. Size, Stability and Weight Limit
Sizing is perhaps the most important thing to consider when you want to buy your board. The right size for you will be an aggregate of various factors, especially your body size and weight.
Nevertheless, you should understand that stability increases with board size but control might reduce drastically. Ideally, a beginner needs to first master the basics, hence, stability and buoyancy are the important things for now.
Relative to your body size, beginners should always go for longer, wider, and thicker surfboards and this will determine the size of your surfboard travel bag.
Various surfboards come with weight limits, therefore, you should ensure you don’t exceed it.
|Surfer’s Height||Surfer’s Weight (lbs.)||Recommended Board Length|
|5’ and less||< 120||6’8” – 7’2”|
|5’1” – 5’4”||120 – 140||7’2” – 7’6”|
|5’5” – 5’8”||140 -165||8’ – 8’6”|
|5’9” – 6’1”||165 – 190||8’6” – 9’2”|
|6’2 – 6’4”||190 – 210||9’2” – 9’6”|
|6’ and more||210 >||9’6” >|
Surfboards are made from different materials and these materials all come with their own advantages. Popular materials include foam, epoxy, wood, and fiberglass (the commonest).
As a beginner, you should consider epoxy and foam boards since they are lighter, stable, and buoyant. You definitely won’t have issues when it comes to handling and carrying. The other two are ideal for intermediates and experts alone.
You may also want to check for the presence of stringers and tough shells, which provides more strength. Also, some boards come with a textured or soft deck that more provides grip and comfort.
Ideally, beginners should start surfing with smaller, gentler waves since they are more forgiving. Gentler waves allow more stability and you can start to develop yourself from there.
However, you may not have access to areas with gentler waves. That doesn’t mean you cannot learn surfing. You only need to be careful.
For gentler waves, longer surfboards will be ideal since they can catch waves easily. In areas with more wave heights, simply go for medium-sized surfboards.
5. Extra Features
Although not very important, there are some other features you might want to consider. For instance, aesthetics may matter to you a lot and even kids will want something attractive. Some products come with warranties, removable fins, free surf wax, handle, GoPro mounts, and even safety leash.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Need or missed some important information? Have you come here to seek answers as a new surfer? Here are some frequently asked questions that you may find helpful.
Are Fish Surfboards Good for Beginners?
Yes. They allow more maneuverability and a few tricks. However, ensure you check the weight limit, volume, and size before buying them.
Are Hybrid Surfboards Good for Beginners?
Hybrids Surfboards are the best for beginners, combining the perks (stability, easy to paddle, and speed) of shortboards and fish boards. In this case too, ensure you check the weight limit, volume, and size, prior to purchase.
Are Long Surfboards Better for Beginners?
Of course, yes! They catch waves very easily. Long surfboards offer to most stability, allowing beginners to learn other techniques.
By now, you should know that stability, buoyancy, and performance are the needs of a beginner. You should be able to know how to pick the best surfboards for beginners using my comprehensive buying guide.
Among the reviewed products, the South Bay Board Co 7′ Ruccus Soft Top is best overall with high durability, great performance, and support for GoPros. The best budget option is the Giantex 6′ Foamie with good value for money. Female beginners can start with Salt Gypsy Shorebird.
Do you have any questions? Have you owned or used any of these surfboards? Please share your experience with other readers in the comments section.
Help your friends know the best surfboards for beginners by sharing this article with your friends on Twitter, Facebook, and other media platforms.